Monday, May 28, 2012

I promise there{s a point to this...

Im in a cyber cafe writing this blog, bummed about the fact that Im doing service today. Yesterday we went to the beach and something bit me in the water. The people (NICA) have theories (sting rays, jelly fish, crab, fish, etc) but no one really knows what bit me. I didnt sleep well last night, in fact I havent been sleeping well for a few days now. I had a temperature this morning and Irene (NEP director) asked that I be taken to the doctor. Long story short, the bite is now infected and Mireya (another NEP person) has to give me an injection (in the rear) for the next three days. I hate injections. The point... it took about 20 minutes for Lorenzo and Mireya to find medical attention for me. The hospital was not very clean and the medicine cost about 300 cordobas (minus the cortizone which I already had). We had tried several private clinics before we went to the hospital. When I arrived at the hospital, they didnt ask me for my name or insurance information, they didnt take my vitals. The doctor asked me to plop my foot on his desk, he looked at it, touched it and then wrote the prescription. Theres no order to anything here. I get that part of it is cultural and that things arent necessarily bad because theyre not American... but Lorenzo jokingly asked a good question, what if i was dying? Are the peoples basic needs being met? Is it affordable? The maid in my house makes 1500 cordabas a month. Can she afford all the meds prescriped if her son or daugheter would had gotten bit by something? I dont think so. The doctor was also being a bit of a smart ass. He said I should have come yesterday but that clearly I didnt want to interupt my grand evening at the beach. I was annoyed but instead of getting offended I thought about what he might think of me because of my nationality, US, Americana...

No comments:

Post a Comment