Friday, May 25, 2012

I wish I knew Spanish...

After several minutes of translating via Google Translate, I've finally figured out how to join the blog from this quaint internet cafe in Granada. It was a little difficult at first since the computer, internet, and keyboard are all in Spanish. As you can see, I´ve finally figured it out. Anyway, this first week has been amazing. The experience is unlike any other of my life thus far. At first, I was a little apprehensive since Evan and I both have little Spanish skills, and we had no idea what our homestay parents were saying when we first walked in. Through the use of a lot of pointing, and also "Como se dice...", we´ve lasted a week so far and seem to be holding up just fine. The first few days of service, the whole group was at a NGO called Los Quinchos, and organization that helps street children in Nicaragua get back on their feet. We got to hangout and talk with some of the kids while we helped them paint and landscape some of their property. This week, I was at Sor Maria Romero on Monday, and Los Quinchos today. At Sor Maria Romero, we got to play with kids all afternoon, it was great. As soon as we walked in, they all jumped on us and started running around all over the place. It was wild but I was ready for their excitement and energy. We then went outside and played soccer and basketball with them. They loved every second of it and seemed to really enjoy our company. I loved it as well since I´m used to playing soccer and basketball with little kids since I have been a day camp counselor for the last 7 summers. So far, I am loving the country. It was quite a culture shock at first as this is my first time out of the country, but I am adjusted now and have very much enjoyed my time here thus far. We now have 6 days left and I hope to make the best of them and leave my mark on this hopeful country.

No comments:

Post a Comment