Thursday, May 24, 2012

Una Semana Ha Pasado

     It is really hard for me to believe that I have been here for a week already. The time is really flying by. This past weekend we got a really nice break and got to visit some of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life. On Saturday we went to Laguna de Apoyo, a sulfuric lake that was form thousands of years ago by a volcanic eruption and has since filled up with rain water. It was on of the most incredible places I have seen in my entire life. And every bit of sunburn that I got on my shoulders from the strong equator sun was worth being able to swim in such an amazing place. It was a great day and it was great to see one of the ecological wonders of this country.
     On Sunday we went zip lining. While I was anxious on the ride up to the place, as soon as I got there I realized how much fun it was going to be. I had a great time and it was a great end to an amazing weekend and break.
     On Monday our routine started: TCNJ and Spanish classes in the morning, service sites in the afternoon. On Monday I went to La Providencia, and while I think that it is an organization with a lot of need (as far as hired help, volunteers, and resources), it just was not the place for me. Either way, I am greatful that I had an experience there and was able to help in whatever ways possible. In class on Tuesday, I talked to Pat about going to another site for the rest of the time here, so I have been at Los Quinchos for the past few days.
     I really enjoy working at Los Quinchos, not only because the work we are doing there is "Habitat for Humanity" type work that I am used to doing because of my being on the Housing team, but also because it really allows me talk with the kids and to be able to ask them about their lives. I have had significant conversations with at least four different kids now, and getting to know them has allowed me to see their pasts and their get potential. Yesterday I talked with German, one of the directors of the Casa Lago site, and was amazed and impressed to find out that he was a "Quincho" and went through the whole program years ago! It was great to hear from him the progress that the organization has made since he was a kid, and more importantly, to see first hand a success story for the organization. 

No comments:

Post a Comment